Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Shop of the Week - Saray Turkish Pizza





This post is dedicated to my colleague & friend Matty - a pizza lover with a big appetite. He recently gave me a camera (Sony 3.3mp) after seeing my little Nokia held together with rubber bands.

The Saray Turkish Pizza shop sells comfort food - you get cravings for it on blustery coldish afternoons in Winter and late on hot Summer nights. The pizzas - the Turkish filled kind - are probably the best in Sydney, along with Manolya's in Sydenham. They also produce the fluffiest Turkish bread and a famously staining beetroot dip (don't wear white). The place is an institution & has been there at least as long as I've been in Sydney (17 years). I wasn't able to get details from the owner because by the time we'd finished our pizza he was engaged in a serious-sounding argument in Turkish with a rather good-looking young man with sculpted sideburns. The decor is charming and the service very friendly but if you prefer to get take-away I recommend you eat it picnic-style at the nearby Camperdown Cemetary, and ponder the life of poor Eliza Emily.

Saray Turkish Pizza (BYO)
18 Enmore Rd, Enmore
Phone (02) 9557 5310

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, that is very sweet! And yes, I do love pizza! It's not only quality, it's also about quantity: the best pizza can be very dissatisfying if it is too small ... nothing worse than still being hungry after an Italian meal :-)

Anonymous said...

Turkish pizza -- yummmmm. Love the way the colours of the photos blend in with your blog's colour scheme.

Zoe said...

Saray used to be my local - and I found those urges also occurred on the way home from the pub really late!